Monday, January 9, 2012

The Rules rule! Go I.C!



This is a big red letter week at our house in many ways! As Catholics, Red is the color of fire and so symbolizes the presence of God. It is the liturgical color for Pentecost.  It is considered the color of the Church, since red can also symbolize the blood of martyrs. It is sometimes used for Maundy Thursday and during Easter-tide. In Roman Catholic tradition it is used for Palm Sunday in anticipation of the death of Jesus. In some traditions it is used to commemorate special days for martyrs or saints, or for the ordination of priests/ministers. 
Red, is for the Holy Spirit, Red is the Confirmation robe, Red is the "X" on my calendar and red is for the color of my ears when my blood pressure rises due to all the "reds" in my life.  I am very satisfied... ah, yes, my son, Armando, the new "Antonio" is being confirmed. One more Antonio in our midst.  I suggested awhile back that perhaps one day a week we could all change our name to Armando but, he rejected the idea, so now he too is an Antonio. Antonio number eight arriveth; all under one roof! 

As I have been following his trot to the canons, I realized these very same dictum's that he will confirm on Wednesday are but a simple template I mostly try to live by and comfortably wear like an old and worn  fuzzy sweater; maybe because I am kind of old and worn these days too.  I have listed some tips of our practices and find them to be simply stated in the following.  I submit, they should be a formula for the many; not just the newly divinely conferred.

Tips for kids:
    Things to remember when visiting God's house:
   * The Church is a sacred place. Always show respect for God and the church.
   * Always genuflect to the Tabernacle.  Jesus is present
   * Do not talk during Holy Mass.
   * Do not bring games or toys to Church.
   * Try to go to the restroom before Church. If you must go, leave by
      the back door and be as quiet as possible.
   * Do not stand on the seats or put your feet on the back of the pew in front of you.
   * Take your bulletin and other papers with you when you leave..
   * Always walk in the Church.
   * Do not eat food or candy, chew gum or take anything to drink into the Church.
   * Take good care of church property and buildings.
   * Be kind to other people.
   * Be a good listener.


An Examination of Conscience
by Fr. Edward Filardi

 I am the Lord your God. You shall not have strange gods before me.
Do I give time every day to God in prayer?
Do I put my trust in superstitions, good luck charms, rather than God alone?
Have I rejected any Church teaching or denied that I was a Catholic?
II. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.
Have I used the words "God" or "Jesus" in anger or irreverently?
Have I used foul or ugly language? Have I wished evil on another?
III. Remember to keep holy the Lord's day.
Have I missed Mass on Sunday or any holy day of obligation?
Do I arrive at church late or leave early?
Do I try to be reverent and pay attention during Mass?
Do I avoid unnecessary work on Sunday?
Do I make Sunday a day of prayer or rest?
IV. Honor your father and your mother.
Do I respect and obey my parents?
Have I dishonored or mistreated them by word or deed?
Am I willing to help around the house or must I be nagged a hundred times?
Do I try to get along with my brothers and sisters?
Am I a tattletale or bully?
Do I give a good example, especially to younger siblings?
Do I respect others in authority: priests, nuns, police, old people, baby-sitters?
V. You shall not kill.
Do I beat up others or hurt their bodies?
Do I say cruel things, or make fun of others to hurt their feelings?
Do I say mean things about others behind their backs?
Have I stopped speaking to anyone?
Do I encourage others to do bad things?
Do I try to love all people, born and unborn?
VI. You shall not commit adultery.
Do I treat my body and other people's bodies with purity and respect?
Do I look at television shows, movies, or pictures that are bad?
Am I modest in my speech and the clothes I wear?

VII. You shall not steal.
Have I taken things that were not mine from a store or another person?
Have I destroyed or misused another person's property for fun?
Do I return things that I borrow? In good condition?
VIII. You shall not commit false witness against your neighbor.
Am I honest in my school work?
Do I tell lies to make myself look good?
Do I tell lies to protect myself from punishment?
Do I tell lies that make another person look bad or get them in trouble?
IX. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife.
Do I allow my parents to spend time with one another, or do I get jealous and want them to pay attention only to me?
Do I get mad when I have to share my friends?
Are there kids I will not play with or be mean to because they look different?
X. You shall not covet your neighbor's goods.
Am I jealous or envious of the things or abilities that others have?
Am I thankful to God and my parents for what they have given me?
Do I share the things I have with my family, friends and poor people



I don't know, but it seems like most of these can be a good fit. I personally admit to vacillate on some points and fail to comply, but I am human and I like that about myself.  It's okay, I am a work in progress...still.

Wednesday will be a stellar day for an amazing group of young men and women and I am proud to have watched them grow up and am humbled to be in their company.  I am grateful to the Clergy, the administrators, the teachers and faith community that have brought them to this moment.  Note to self: remember to ask to be blessed after mass so I can get a piece of their new Spirit! Happy Confirmation to Immaculate Conception's 7th Graders! 


0 comments:

Post a Comment