Tuesday, January 17, 2012

I Can't have the Toy Until I Get Rid of the Nuggets!



The fingers of fog drifted over me last night and  when I opened my eyes I realized I have been a gym rat my entire life.  My nutrition trail has been paved with the stones of sweat since I was in my teens.  


Indeed, I do not have the chiseled silhouette of my dreams, but my very own Dr. Dreamy "the" cardiologist, blue eyes and all,  from Mount Zion blessed me and sent me packing for another year with a clean bill of heart health. I guess all of those years running, jumping and cycling have paid off.  Note: personal best was never very impressive to anyone but myself. 

Yesterday was family field trip day; we left home empty handed and returned to 714 with a new bundle of joy; a family membership to LA Fitness.  Each one of us clearly had a vision that cried out for attention; Tony wants to walk, Armando needs the cardio and I need to be fit enough to take on the 150,000 projects that are colliding under my thick skull and screaming to come to life.  Now what?

The plan.  Inspired by a very poorly delivered episode of "Wife Swap" it came to me.  In case you are not familiar: "Wife Swap" is a reality show where two families, usually from different social classes and lifestyles, swap wives/mothers – and sometimes husbands – for two weeks.


Oh, enlightenment! In yesterday's episode Mom number one would deal with all family issues by answering, "No Problem" to any requests and or problems because she wanted to maintain a constant Nirvanic cloud floating mist-fully in her home.  The family theme revolved around fun.  Consequently, five out of six adults in the home did not report to a job except for the patriarch of the family. The group enjoyed the art of video gaming all day, sometimes fishing and spent money without much discernment.

On the other hand, Mom number two, would vehemently, hands down, address her  family's needs  by saying, "No Way" because discipline and duties were by far the diamond standard to life's goals.  She created tools for the family like charts and reward tokens to encourage good behavior and discourage the bad; Pavlovian theory at its best.

Back to the plan: I am going to need a chart.  Give me a chart!  Now that we have a family partnership, in fitness, we need to coordinate our schedules so that we can all benefit from this investment in our health; together.  I choose "Wife Swap's" Uber Mom number two's plan for direction. I have adopted her tokens, tags, bells and whistles..on our marks, get ready and and go.


The party starts today!
One last clarification, this is not a 'B" Family New Years resolution, this is what I have personally declared as a three month challenge to redefine and improve our lives and health wealth...

...the treasure is at the end of the rainbow, take me home to Kansas and we can't have the toy until all the nuggets are gone! 

Wish us luck!






0 comments:

Post a Comment