Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Pilgrims Mass and the Botafumeiro!



Somehow I always revert back to building a house from the roof down. Sorry, husband of mine, I simply can't resist. Clearly, the journey itself to 'The Way' is the reason for the pilgrimage and I am excited about every path, every blister and every stone that ends up inside my shoe, but the more I read about the arrival to Compostela, my heart goes 'boom, badoom, boom, boom, badoom, boom' ... 


According to multiple sources, the Pilgrims Mass is held in the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela each day at noon for pilgrims. Pilgrims who received the Compostela the day before have their countries of origin and the starting point of their pilgrimage announced at the Mass. Many times you will find priests serving in the mass still wearing their hiking boots.  The musical and visual highlight of the mass is the  the beautiful "Hymn to Santiago" accompanied by the spectacular swinging of the huge Botafumeiro, the famous  thurible kept in the cathedral. Incense is burned in this swinging metal container, or "incensory". As the last chords fade away, the multitude of pilgrims crowd forward to reach the spiritual highlight of the Mass, the rite of communion.  


Originally, the Botafumeiro, a giant incense burner, was used to fumigate the sweaty and possibly disease ridden pilgrims. Today, a half dozen assistants or Tirabloeiros swing the giant burner in service to God and the pilgrims of the way to St. James.  


Priests administer the Sacrament of Penance, or confession, in many languages, permitting most pilgrims to complete the indulgence attached to the pilgrimage.


I, for one, want to follow the timeworn ritual after entering the city.  I will join the many that have stood before the Tree of Jesse and place my hand in a solid marble imprint of a hand already shaped by millions of pilgrims before me.  I will quietly thank St. James for a safe journey then touch my brow to that of Maestro Mateo in the ritual known as the head-butting saint to magically receive some of his his artistic acumen and descend to the crypt to finally shore up with St. James and my call to pilgrimage.  The roof is up and the foundation will follow.




And that will be a glorious day to a 
Buen Camino!



0 comments:

Post a Comment