Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Building from the Roof Down is Unacceptable - The Way



My husband insists that you can't build a house from the roof down.  He is right and fortunately he keeps this baby boomer grounded. Had I been born a few years later, I would have probably been at Woodstock stripping down to a peace sign and dancing on the slippery slope of decadence .  This is a guilty secret. Good thing I was born later since I have never wanted to see the inside of a jail cell first hand.

Today, high octane is running through my veins like wild fire in the Florida everglades. I am clearing the table and sharpening my fingertips in order to draw a timeline and re-purpose my condition for the way.   All things considered,  I may walk some time late July or August.


Therefore, before I begin to lay down tiles on my roof, dream about stepping into the Plaza de Obradoiro, rest my hands upon the Pilgrims Pillar, bear witness to the convergence of pilgrims at mass,  have a shot of Orujo and sit down to some Albariño wine at El Mosquito in the Rua de San Pedro, I will  start with a clear beginning; the foundation as to my personal reason for walking the way of St. James.

First rule of thumb is to self-educate,  so I joined the Camino de Santiago forum and I found so much good information.  So many of my questions were answered by veterans and newbies like myself about the trail, the traditions, the culture, the weather and more.  For example, in Holland, walking to Santiago is all the rave.  The walk is about nature, outlook on life, fitness  and expanding horizons.  For others, it is spiritual or a promise to self.  But, for me, it's about the 'Why?" Why? Why?

I have found that the 'why" is complicated.  There are many reasons and equations that lead up to a journey such as this.  I have read that the journey is personal; no one can walk for someone else.  I have also read that some embark on a spiritual path while others embrace adventure, sports and new horizons to name a few.

I guess if I were to take on the 100 day journey, which I am not, I would discover a multitude of reasons for walking.  I also am certain that my reason for walking today will differ from my reason at the end when I have rested my hands on St. James and said, "Thank you for I have gotten here safely."

I would like to take the high road and say that I am walking to Santiago for strictly spiritual reasons, but I have a list of reasons and spirituality is listed high if not first on the list.

Reasons include but are not limited to:

1. To experience and live the meaning to the Walk of St. James and to step on the same soil of a 2000 year old pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela

2. To better educate myself on the life of St. James and his mission.

3. Time to self

4. Breathe nature and country into my pours

5. Time with others on the journey and especially spend time with my niece Vera.

6. Challenge

7. Inspiration

8. Open myself to the possibilities

9.  Witness first hand the giant botafumeiro

10. Improve my language skills

This is it. I am buying all the books, creating a master plan, conditioning the body and mind, building the foundation from the bottom and climbing up.  My husband can be proud because I actually listened.


Buen Camino!















0 comments:

Post a Comment