Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Inner Journey From the Outside

Armando, my son with his Godfather Adelino
Four years after Tony and I married, we traveled for the first time to Portugal in order to celebrate a family nuptial. Tony's youngest sister was getting married and I was going to meet my new family for the very first time.  As you can imagine, my language skills were at an all time low and I managed to sustain a permanent headache for the first week because of it.  Everyone, with few exceptions, would read my lips as I spoke their native tongue and utter back to me, "Não Percebo!" How could that be? I understood them! I soon secured my niece and nephew who were both under the age of seven to be my official Rosetta Stone for Portuguese-English and English-Portuguese. They were the best translators, ever!  

Never the less, I walked around confused most of the time, especially the first time the family referred to the future bride and groom, my sister and brother in-law named Lina and Lino as 'Os Fradelenses'...(inside joke, indeed). Apparently, the big and fabulous reveal wedding was taking place in a city called Fradelos, hence the term 'Fradelenses'. The same group would further confuse me later by calling them 'Os Madeirenses" because Madeira was their honey moon destination once the vows were exchanged.  "Foi mesmo um gesto de educação! Obrigado!" I contracted permanent wrinkles on my forehead that year.  I own them today.

Thankfully and as fate dictated, I immediately bonded with Portugal and her people many of who are now my family.  After the big family wedding was over, and may I add, the event  lasted a good, steady eighteen hours, I melted into the landscape and swore I would return to live there some day. It is my version of Eden and I am Eve.  This Eve however, contrary to the Eve in  the ancient edition of 'Bible and Garden' is keeping far and away from any and all types of vermin. I am not about to let one bad apple ruin the end of my days.  Sure, I am still waiting to go back and stay but, like my husband says,"ya falto mais." 

Looking back,  I believe we all fell in love with each other on that maiden trip and we have happily returned many times to our beautiful hamlet to visit and spend time with the family. It has been a good life in spite of our immigrant status.

As I formulate the meditative path to Compostela and I chart the path for an early summer walk, I realize that my road will be paved with a lifetime of hiccups, youthful memories, decisions: good and bad, angst's, my family, my life and somewhere in the heart of things the dull pain left behind by having to unwillingly say goodbye to my loved ones in this life. There have been many beautiful people now gone from their earthly residence and I will always hold them ever so close in a special corner of my thoughts and prayers.  I struggle on certain days and in my heart of hearts, I wish they were here.

One of the many unresolved issues that flutter in and out of my constantly changing reality , is the death of Lino.  I have not been able to bring closure to the passing of my brother in law.  Late last year he was hit by a car. The first word that comes to mind is tragic...the other words should be unnecessary loss of life and the last is probably avoidable. I understand that the highway that he was attempting to cross has now been altered so that it is no longer unsafe for pedestrians; other lives will be safe because of him.  To our dismay was our inability to attend the funeral services and be part of the final embraces and tears.  The human condition requires a formal disconnect.  This too was tough to navigate and a reminder that we suffer from a crippling disability called distance.

If I could wish one wish to any and to all, I wish that everyone have a Lino in their lives.  Lino, can only be described as a remarkable man that loved his family, his wife, his three girls and all things agriculture.  He was defined by his joyful constant smile, good spirit and willingness to lend a hand to anyone and everyone. I am certain I saw him take the shirt off his back once to give to someone else.  I still see and hear him - plain as day.  The memory of him tastes sweet and it was a privilege to call him friend and brother.  I can't say for sure, but when someone like him gets called up to meet his maker, you just have to believe that God calls to His presence those good fellows that can march ahead in front of the pack and lay out the way markers for  the rest of us.  Buen Camino, Lino.



This summer trip to Portugal will prove to be a soulful visit. It will be hard to accept an  arrival at our front porch in Adaes and not find Lino zipping by on his moped, inviting us to see his new hatch-lings and or presenting his latest farming inventions.  My next visit to our corner of the world will feel incomplete without him in it. The Way to St. James will serve me in closing many circles. Along this very same road, I will pack with me quite a few memories of some of the finest friends and family that have given color to my canvas and there are many. Too many.

Either way, the goodbye of today is an open door to our next hello tomorrow.



Fly like a bird to the Lord, my soul.
I want to soar like an eagle.
Though I may journey far away from home,
I know I'll never be alone.



Geidy
Gracie


Love the people God gave you because you may have to give them back one day!
Raul, Tio Pepe, Tio Manolo, Abuelo, Abuela


Muy Buen Camino, peregrino!

3 comments:

  1. Muy lindo, ojala se cumplan todos tus sueños prima! Muy triste la perdida de tu cuñado, el va a estar alli en espiritu para darles la bienvenida a esa hermosa tierra que es Portugal.Los quiero!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watch the movie The Way with Martin sheen and Emilio esteves. A lovely movie about the pilgrimage

    ReplyDelete