Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Why musicians should get paid...




Recently, I was having what seems to be a recurring discussion about the pay for artists' and musicians' services -typically a conversation that takes place after having rendered a service and not having received remuneration.

The reality is that due to the nature of my specific venue, which is in the service to and in the house of God, I have found that it has become increasingly easier for assembly members and non- parishioners to take advantage of the forever smiling, kind hearted musician. 

On more than one occasion, I have been contacted half joking and or half seriously to cantor at a liturgical service at no cost for a private mass.  No problem, totally possible.

Once alerted,  I have accepted and happily sacrificed time and treasure for the cause. Time because I am away from my family and activities. Treasure because I am not getting paid and I have bills to be paid like everybody else; I could be earning my keep elsewhere. This is a choice that I can either accept or decline; a spiritual donation of sorts.  So far, no worries, Charity can be my middle name and is many times over.

On more than one occasion, I have been left a hopeless beggar seeking wages; embarrassed, demoralized and hands extended like poor pathetic Oliver Twist, "please Sir I want some more". 


At this point, this very same aforementioned conversation takes place - to exhaustion. The conversation starts with, "Well, they paid for the flowers, the party, the clothes, the photographer, the caddy and so forth...what are we a band of free musical martyrs? No bueno!

I will further with an analogy of a lawyer (not the same, but think about it).   An individual trains to become a lawyer for several years, first obtaining their bachelor's degree, then passing the LSAT law school entrance exam, then they pursue their law degree, pass the board around graduation time and are certified to practice law in a particular state. Part of the reason lawyers are paid what they are is because of their specific training. Well, in that respect it's not much different for musicians. Musicians spend years learning their instrument, songs, recording their music, attention to liturgy and conferences to get it out to the public in a tangible and consumable way, overall, perfecting their craft. 

Unfortunately, some think it's okay to devalue all that training and work by asking the musician to do pro-bono work or accept a handshake and a, "thank you my sister/brother."  I don't know too many lawyers who would be willing to accept a handy dandy handshake for a stipend and willingly pursue pro-bono work for the majority of their career.


The point is, there is a business side of being a musician even in His service.  I find it beneficial to educate those around us about the mass and what is involved.   I've also found that information is the best resource in helping people understand what goes into being a professional musician in the service of God. I hope they can begin to look at the same situation differently and offer up more than a handshake when it is time to pay the piper.

Long story short, 2013 arrives on a white horse and carriage with a new set of wheels and these wheels and the horse and carriage are not yet paid for. Perdition!
 


All joking aside, music takes a lot of effort for a good artist/musician to be able to provide that service well, and thus they should be paid for it. 

Final thought: Music is an enhancement to any service, but the Catholic Worship Service in itself is what gives greater glory to God not the music.


3 comments:

  1. Love the post!! Not to mention musicians don't have any holidays, sick days, or vacation days to boot!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam, you know the drill...My best to you and the fam...

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true. Musicians should be paid. Attorneys too, we suppose, but that's a different discussion altogether.

    ReplyDelete