Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Landslide

Today, I boycotted all things train.  Self interest was at the heart of my decision, I confessed.    I certainly did not need any additional Miami metro stress before tomorrow's big event.  I decided to open the windows to the Jetta (not quite the Aston Martin DB5, ahumm...) and breathe in the morning drive. I took all the backstreets (good ones and bad ones) and pulled into downtown by way of the Wynwood Art District where I am always captured by the musings of our local artists.  If you ever plan to take this route, you are advised to rubber neck due to ballistic visual stimuli, from the sartorially clueless characters, flirty and spicy eateries, planned street art and unplanned graffiti to the gallery fronts - lots of them with eclectic names like OHWOW, Fusion and Locusts.

Disclaimer: regarding the above-mentioned gallery names -- these  are not intended to be placed into a sentence together and in the order listed as we do not want to make our tourists uncomfortable.

Oh Wow! Fusion! Locusts!

Kidding aside, if you are here celebrating spring and shaking off some snow, fear not, these infestations are more common to any hotel room you could secure and not indigenous to this vertical state. 

As I was planning my arrival to the Wachovia, SE Financial or whatever name our building is calling itself these days, I kept thinking, today is a big day and what a day it will be.  The goal was and is to glean the common records areas and leave all things records sporting a solid Sunday best; like the  Macy's store window dressed up and ready for the Thanksgiving day parade, if you will.

Then, while mindlessly drifting and driving, Landslide came on the radio and it made me happy.  Landslide was written two years after my father passed away and I sang that melody to attenuation.  The  words rang true, for me,  because I had just learned that everything that mattered could tumble in an instant and the landslide would bring you down.  Stevie Nicks wrote this song for her father the night before he had surgery.   It was birthed much like Lennon's, Imagine, written in all of five minutes -- a magnum opus for both.  Thanks to Nick's moment of heightened musical acumen and creation of this song -- I saw myself for what seem to be the first time and discovered a strong and good me.  I was twelve. 

"I realized then that everything could tumble, and when you're in Colorado, and you're surrounded by these incredible mountains, you think avalanche. It meant the whole world could tumble around us and the landslide would bring you down. And a landslide in the snow is like, deadly. And when you're in that kind of a snow-covered, surrounding place, you don't just go out and yell, because the whole mountain could come down on you.'"SNicks 

Dad and I - Landslide was written two
years after my father passed away


'It's about a father-daughter relationship.
~Stevie Nicks on how Landslide was written the night before her dad was operated on at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota in 1974, The Arizona Republic, June 7, 1998' 

Landslide

I took my love and I took it down
I climbed a mountain and I turned around
And I saw my reflection in the snow covered hills
Well the landslide brought me down

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love
Can the child within my heart rise above
Can I sail thru the changing ocean tides
Can I handle the seasons of my life

Well, I've been afraid of changing 'cause I built my life around you
But time makes you bolder
Children get older
I'm getting older too
Well...

Well, I've been afraid of changing 'cause I built my life around you
But time makes you bolder
Children get older
I'm getting older, too
Well I'm getting older too

So, take this love and take it down
Year and if you climb a mountain and ya turn around
And if you see my reflection in the snow-covered hills
Well the landslide brought me down
And if you see my reflection in the snow-covered hills
Well maybe
Well maybe
Well maybe the landslide will bring you down





Well maybe...Well maybe...Well maybe the landslide will bring you down...and maybe not. 

By the by, I was indulging in a private 'matutino' pity party (can't imagine why?) and I managed to find the perfect excuse to do some shopping.  I found a new wine glass (NOT)! My new cup  anthropomorphically screams of Ana: 
"It's all good"!

Buen   Camino - it's all good!

0 comments:

Post a Comment