Monday, March 11, 2013

Raul



Pen and Ink Illustration - Portrait from a Passport - Ana Juncadella 1/1 - 1977  scratch pen

Are we to paint what's on the face, what's inside the face, or what's behind it?

As you can see in the illustration above, on the far right corner, this piece was created in 1977.  This was a time whereby the body of work I produced hoisted archetypal, if not hackneyed, images of an immature state of an artist.  The strokes on the parchment are non-committal and hide behind scattered and confused lines.  The  expression on the storyboard of my muse was more of a reflection of what I was feeling rather than the image that I lifted it from. Despite, the accidental lines and anxious manipulation of the ink, I embrace this piece still because of what it represents - bone deep sadness.
 
For many years every scratch I made would be cloaked in confusion; I was mourning the passing of my father years earlier.  On this occasion it was impossible to escape the sting of death. It took a long time before I was able to paint an adequate rendition of what was on,  inside or behind any face including my own.

Today, the faces I paint are clear and engaging and any interpretation at my hand can be considered transparent.  Thanks to my father, I own the perfect love template and thanks to my father I am as strong as the valuable lessons learned when I was bone deep saddened. 

 
 
Me and Raul - best father ever

"I know for certain that we never lose the people we love, even to death. They continue to participate in every act, thought and decision we make. Their love leaves an indelible imprint in our memories. We find comfort in knowing that our lives have been enriched by having shared their love."
Leo F. Buscaglia

2 comments:

  1. Well written, and awfully sad. You've done your father proud, not just in preserving his likeness, but his memory, for those who weren't so fortunate to have met the man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Darkwater! He was amazing and is still amazing to me.

    ReplyDelete